7.26.2005
25 Things...
25 Things Every Twentysomething Should Know
I would have to admit that turning 25 this year was not one of my happy thoughts. Being a quarter of a century old did not boost my morale one bit. My unfortunate best friend bore witness to my hour-long soliloquies of lost youth and the unrecoverable 23-inch waistline. It was so sad.
I wallowed in self-pity for days until I realized that being a twentysomething did have its merits. As opposed to the much envied 17 year-old, I can walk into a bar, ask for a whiskey sour and not get badgered for an ID. I can wear any dang thing I want and not give a *bleep* what everyone else thinks. So my metabolism's slowing down and every drop of Coke I drink seems to find its way to my hips—so what? At this age, I've got something no supermodel minor has—25 years worth of experience and smarts.
As I emerged from the pity pit, I put together a list of 25 things that are vital to twentysomethingdom. Some of them I learned myself, some I learned from others, but all are 100% tried and tested. From one regular and real woman to another—enjoy!
Practical Know-how Resulting From Everyday Booboos
- A spritz of hairspray can stop a stocking run dead in its tracks.
- A few drops of hydrogen peroxide can pull a blood stain right out.
- Dabbing toothpaste on your pimples just doesn't work so stick to more conventional ways of dealing with zits. Trust me, nothing spells t-e-e-n-a-g-e-r more than a bunch of pockmarks.
- Bread should never be heated in the microwave. It becomes makunat.
- Don't buy clothes just because they're on sale. (Just ask the 50 peso vintage shirt that's been sitting in my closet for 4 years)
Wisdom for Women
- By the time you hit your 20s, apply eye cream daily. This also goes for facial moisturizer, body lotion and sunblock.
- A tampon will NOT devirginize you. It is a safe and very practical way of dealing with your monthly blood gush.
- Buy only the best underwear brands and styles for your body. A real woman deserves nothing less.
- Invest in at least one nice suit, one evening dress, and good shoes to match each.
- It's always important to build bonds. Find yourself a suking manicurist, masseuse, salon and stylist, and gynecologist.
Random Universal Truths
- A girl can never have too many shoes.
- This drinker's mantra has proved to be very helpful to me. "Liquor to beer, you're in for the clear. Beer to liquor, you're in for the sicker." Learn it, live it, love it.
- It's good to know the rules and it's good to break some of them once in a while.
- Life is full of concessions. Flirting a little does not make you a slut. Conversely, not putting out on the first date does not make you a prude.
- It's okay to feel tamad. Once in a while, use your license to be a couch potato.
Be Independent!
- I'm sure all working women would agree with me on this one. You have to know how to operate a fax machine, computer, and printer. If you don't, learn. Now.
- The Internet is one of the greatest inventions to date. Be sure you know how to surf the web and send e-mail. A truly wired woman has at least two e-mail addresses. One for sending resumés and other business-related stuff, another for personal use.
- For all lady drivers, be sure you know how to change a flat tire. That whole damsel-in-distress bit is for amateurs.
- Don't let your credit card rule your life. Pay your bill regularly or be ready to get phone calls from the card company twice a month. (Believe me, I know this all too well.)
- Take charge of your own safety. Although it may cost a pretty penny, invest in pepper spray or other self-defense paraphernalia.
Love, Sex, and That Tiny Space in Between
- There IS a difference between sex and making love—and you can have both with the right man.
- No matter what he says, he will NEVER leave his wife.
- Getting over someone is never easy. Follow the 21-day rule. Allow yourself to be angry, upset, sad, depressed—in other words, tether on the brink of insanity—for a full 21 days. But after that, gather your wits and begin the process of healing and acceptance.
- When you have sex, be sure it's safe sex. Contraception is your responsibility as well as your partner's. If he won't do his share, make sure you do yours. After all, that's YOUR body.
- Love is a beautiful thing. It doesn't matter how many bad relationships you've had, don't ever allow yourself to get jaded.

